Saturday, January 22, 2011

Linhof


Well hello! Would you just take a look at the gorgeous camera? I was stoked out of my mind to take it for a spin. The Linhof Technika 4x5... le sigh. According to my professor these were originally old press cameras, although after my experience with it today I have a hard time believing anyone could take photo-journalistic (by-the-seat-of-your-pants-quick) snaps. My assignment this weekend was to use a tilt-shift to compensate and fix the converging lines in architecture. I was halfway to a beard when I finished.

For all you non-photo types, converging lines happen when you take a snap of something and have to look up, this causes an "A" shape to form at the top of your...whatever, in my case "building". As such, it's necessary to use large format camera's or tilt-shift lenses when photographing any kind of architecture or advertising work because it will correct any distortion. The photograph above was taken with my digital camera and you can kind of see the A shape on the building to the right.

St. Pete was super fickle today. I left to shoot around noon when the sun was out. As soon as I had the Linhof set and ready to go, the wind picked up, the temperature dropped drastically and I had cloud cover for two hours straight. Discouraged I took a lunch break to thaw out my fingers. After chompin down on some leftovers, and borrowing an extra jacket I was ready to try again. This time I had company! Reuben and my Lion came out to keep my spirits up!!!









Check me out in action with a wind-fro!^

Reuben is so welcoming :)

Linhof in all it's glory^

The natural wind blown look! ^

Feeling pretty lucky I finished today, I'll scan in the film or some prints once I have it developed on Monday. Happy Saturday!

1 comment: